ANNAPOLIS, a town of Nova Scotia, capital of Annapolis
county and up to 1750 of the entire peninsula of Nova Scotia;
situated on an arm of the Bay of Fundy, at the mouth of the
Annapolis river, 95 m. W. of Halifax; and the terminus of the
Windsor & Annapolis railway. Pop. (1901) 1019. It is one of
the oldest settlements in North America, having been founded in
1604 by the French, who called it Port Royal. It was captured
by the British in 1710, and ceded to them by the treaty of Utrecht
in 1713, when the name was changed in honour of Queen Anne.
It possesses a good harbour, and the beauty of the surrounding
country makes it a favourite summer resort. The town is
surrounded by apple orchards and in May miles of blossoming
trees make a beautiful sight. The fruit, which is excellent in
quality, is the principal export of the region.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.