History of the Universe eBook. 398 pages, 300 illustrations only $2.99
APT, a town of south-eastern France, in the department of
Vaucluse, on the left bank of the Coulon, 41 m. E. of Avignon
by rail. Pop. (1906) 4990. The town was formerly surrounded
by massive ancient walls, but these have now been for the most
part replaced by boulevards; many of its streets are narrow
and irregular. The chief object of interest is the church of
Sainte-Anne (once the cathedral), the building of which was
begun about the year 1056 on the site of a much older edifice,
but not completed until the latter half of the 17th century.
Many Roman remains have been found in and near the town.
A fine bridge, the Pont Julien, spanning the Coulon below the
town, dates from the 2nd or 3rd century. A tribunal of first
instance and a communal college are the chief public institutions.
The chief manufactures are silk, confectionery and earthenware;
and there is besides a considerable trade in fruit, grain and cattle.
Apt was at one time the chief town of the Vulgientes, a Gallic
tribe; it was destroyed by the Romans about 125 B.C. and
restored by Julius Caesar, who conferred upon it the title Apta
Julia; it was much injured by the Lombards and the Saracens,
but its fortifications were rebuilt by the counts of Provence. The
bishopric, founded in the 3rd century, was suppressed in 1790.
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.
"A well-rounded treatment of a vast body of facts" only $2.99