ARABGIR, or Arabkir (Byz. Arabraces), a town of Turkey
in Asia in the Mamuret el-Aziz or Kharput vilayet, situated
near the confluence of the eastern and western Euphrates, but
some miles from the right bank of the combined streams. Pop.
about 20,000, of which the larger half is Mussulman. It is connected
with Sivas by a chaussée, prolonged to the Euphrates.
The inhabitants are enterprising and prosperous, many of them
leaving their native city to push their fortunes elsewhere, while
of those that remain the greater part is employed in the manufacture
of silk and cotton goods, or in the production of fruit.
The present town was built at a comparatively recent date;
but about 2 m. north-east is the old town, now called Eski-Shehr,
given (c. 1021) to Senekherim of Armenia by the emperorBasil II.
It contains the ruins of a castle and of several Seljuk mosques.
The Armenian population suffered severely during the massacres
(D. G. H.)
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.