ARBOIS, a town of eastern France, in the department of Jura,
on the Cuisance, 29 m. N.N.E. of Lons-le-Saunier by rail. Pop.
(1906) 3454. The town is the seat of the tribunal of first
instance of the arrondissement of Poligny, and has a communal
college. The church of St Just, founded in the 10th century,
has good wood-carving. An Ursuline convent, built in 1764,
serves as hôtel de ville and lawcourt, and a church of the 14th
century is used as a market. There is an old château of the
dukes of Burgundy. Arbois is well known for its red and white
wines, and has saw-mills, tanneries and market gardens, and
manufactures paper, oil and casks.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.