History of the Universe eBook. 398 pages, 300 illustrations only $2.99
ARGENTAN, a town of north-western France, capital of an
arrondissement in the department of Orne, 27 m. N.N.W. of
Alençon on the railway from Le Mans to Caen. Pop. (1906)
5072. It is situated on the slope of a hill on the right bank of the
Orne at its confluence with the Ure. The town has remains of
old fortifications, among them the Tour Marguerite, and a
château, now used as a law-court, dating from the 15th century.
The church of St Germain (15th, 16th and 17th centuries) has
several features of architectural beauty, notably the sculptured
northern portal, and the central and western towers. The
church of St Martin, dating from the 15th century, has good
stained glass. The handsome modern town-hall contains among
other institutions the tribunal of commerce, the museum and
the library. Argentan is the seat of a sub-prefect, has a tribunal
of first instance and a communal college. Leather-working and
the manufacture of stained glass are leading industries. There are
quarries of limestone in the vicinity. Argentan was a viscounty
from the 11th century onwards; it was often taken and pillaged.
During the Religious Wars it remained attached to the Catholic
party. François Eudes de Mézeray, the historian, was born near
the town, and a monument has been erected to his memory.
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.
"A well-rounded treatment of a vast body of facts" only $2.99