ARGENTEUIL, a town of northern France in the department
of Seine-et-Oise, on the Seine, 5 m. N.W. of the fortifications
of Paris by the railway from Paris to Mantes. Pop. (1906)
17,330. Argenteuil grew up round a monastery, which, dating
from A.D. 656, was by Charlemagne changed into a nunnery; it
was afterwards famous for its connexion with Héloise (see
Abelard), and on her expulsion in 1129 was again turned into
a monastery. Asparagus, figs, and wine of medium quality
are grown in the district; and heavy iron goods, chemical
products, clocks and plaster are among the manufactures.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.