ARGOSTOLI (anc. Cephallenia), the capital of Cephalonia
(one of the Ionian islands), and the seat of a bishop of the Greek
church. Pop. about 10,000. It possesses an excellent harbour,
a quay a mile in length, and a finebridge. Shipbuilding and
silk-spinning are carried on. Near at hand are the ruins of
Cranii, which afford fine examples of Greek military architecture;
and at the west side of the harbour there is a curious stream,
flowing from the sea, and employed to drive mills before losing
itself in caverns inland.
See Sir C. Fellows’s Journal of an Excursion in Asia Minor in
1838, and Wiebel’s Die Insel Kephalonia und die Meermühlen von
Argostoli (Hamburg, 1873).
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.