History of the Universe eBook. 398 pages, 300 illustrations only $2.99
ARGYROKASTRO, or Argyrocastron (Turkish, Ergeri;
Albanian Ergir Castri), a town of southern Albania, Turkey, in
the vilayet of Iannina. Pop. (1900) about 11,000. Argyrokastro
is finely situated 1060 ft. above sea-level, on the eastern slopes
of the Acroceraunian mountains, and near the left bank of the
river Dhrynos, a left-hand tributary of the Viossa. It is the
capital of a sanjak bearing the same name, and was formerly
important as the headquarters of the local Moslem aristocracy,
partly owing to the mountainous and easily defensible nature
of the district. It contains the ruins of an imposing castellated
fort. A fine kind of snuff, known as fuli, is manufactured here.
Argyrokastro has been variously identified with the ancient
Hadrianopolis and Antigonea. In the 18th century it is said
to have contained 20,000 inhabitants, but it was almost depopulated
by plague in 1814. Albanian Moslems constitute the
greater part of the population.
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.
"A well-rounded treatment of a vast body of facts" only $2.99