History of the Universe eBook. 398 pages, 300 illustrations only $2.99
ARKLOW, a seaport and market town of Co. Wicklow, Ireland,
in the east parliamentary division, 49 m. S. of Dublin, by the
Dublin & South-Eastern railway. Pop. (1901) 4944. Sea-fisheries
are prosecuted, and there are oyster-beds on the coast,
but the produce requires to be freed from a peculiar flavour by the
purer waters of the Welsh and English coast before it is fit for
food. The produce of the copper and lead mines of the Vale of
Avoca is shipped from the port. There are cordite and explosives
works, established by Messrs Kynoch of Birmingham, England.
In 1882 an act was passed providing for the improvement of
the harbour and for the appointment of harbour commissioners.
The town hall and the Protestant church (1899) were gifts of the
earl of Carysfort, in whose property the town is situated. There
are slight ruins of an ancient castle of the Ormondes, demolished in
1649 by Cromwell. On the 9th of June 1798 the Irish insurgents,
attacking the town, were defeated by the royal troops near Arklow
Bridge, and their leader, Father Michael Murphy, was killed.
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.
"A well-rounded treatment of a vast body of facts" only $2.99