AROLSEN, a town of Germany, capital of the principality of
Waldeck, 25 m. N.W. of Cassel, with which it is connected by
rail via Warburg. Pop. 3000. It lies in a pleasant undulating
country at an elevation of 900 ft. above the sea. The EvAngelical
parish church contains some fine statues by Christian Rauch,
and the palace (built 1710-1720), in addition to a valuable
library of 30,000 vols., a collection of coins and pictures, among
the latter several by Angelica Kauffmann. Arolsen is the
birthplace of the sculptor C. Rauch and of the painters Wilhelm
and Friedrich Kaulbach.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.