ARONA, a town of Piedmont, Italy, in the province of Novara,
on the W. bank of Lake Maggiore, 3 m. from its S. extremity,
23 m. N. of Novara, and 42 m. N.W. of Milan by rail. Pop.
(1901) 4700. It is a railway centre of some importance on the
Simplon line, and is also the southern terminus of the steamers
which ply on Lake Maggiore. The church of S. Maria contains
a fine altar-piece by Gaudenzio Ferrari. On a hill to the north
of the town stands a colossal bronze statue of S. Carlo Borromeo
(born here in 1538), erected in 1697. The pedestal, of red granite,
is 42 ft. high, and the statue 70 ft. high; the latter is hollow, and
can be ascended from within.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.