History of the Universe eBook. 398 pages, 300 illustrations only $2.99
ASHINGTON, an urban district in the Wansbeck parliamentary
division of Northumberland, England, 4 m. E. of Morpeth, on the
Newbiggin branch of the North Eastern railway. Pop. (1901)
13,956. The district, especially along the river Wansbeck, is not
without beauty, but there are numerous collieries, from the
existence of which springs the modern growth of Ashington. At
Bothal on the river (from which parish that of Ashington was
formed) is the castle originally belonging to the Bertram family,
of which Roger Bertram probably built the gatehouse, the only
habitable portion remaining, in the reign of Edward III. The
ruins of the castle are fragmentary, but of considerable extent.
The church of St Andrew here has interesting details from Early
English to Perpendicular date, and in the neighbouring woods
is a ruined chapel of St Mary. The mining centre of Ashington
lies 2 m. north-east, on the high ground north of the Wansbeck.
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.
"A well-rounded treatment of a vast body of facts" only $2.99