ATHENRY, a market town of countyGalway, Ireland, 14 m.
inland (E.) from Galway on the Midland Great Western main
line. Pop. (1901) 853. Its name is derived from Ath-na-riogh,
the ford of kings; and it grew to importance after the Anglo-Norman
invasion as the first town of the Burgs and Berminghams.
The walls were erected in 1211 and the castle in
1238, and the remains of both are noteworthy. A Dominican
monastery was founded with great magnificence by Myler de
Bermingham in 1241, and was repaired by the Board of Works
in 1893. Of the Franciscan monastery of 1464 little is left.
The town returned two members to the Irish parliament from
the time of Richard II. to the Union; but it never recovered
from the wars of the Tudor period, culminating in a successful
siege by Red Hugh O’Donnell in 1596.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.