AUCHTERMUCHTY (Gaelic, “the high ground of the wild
sow”), a royal and police burgh of Fifeshire, Scotland, built
on an elevation about 9 m. W. by S. of Cupar, with a station on a
branch of the North British railway from Ladybank to Mawcarse
Junction. Pop. 1387. The rapid Loverspool Burn divides
the town. The principal industries include the weaving of
linen and damasks, bleaching, distilling and malting. John
Glas, founder of the sect known as Glassites or Sandemanians,
was a native of the town. A mile and a half to the south-west
is the village of Strathmiglo (pop. 966), on the river Eden, with
a linen factory and bleaching works.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.