AUGUSTOWO, a city of Russian Poland, in the government
of Suwalki, 20 m. S. of the town of that name, on a canal
(65 m.) connecting the Vistula with the Niemen. It was founded
in 1557 by Sigismund II. (Augustus), and is laid out in a very
regular manner, with a spacious market-place. It carries on a
large trade in cattle and horses, and manufactures linen and
huckaback. Pop. (1897) 12,746.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.