AURAY, a town of France near the mouth of the Auray river,
in the department of Morbihan, 12 m. W. of Vannes on the
railway between that town and Lorient. Pop. (1906) 5241.
Its port, which is formed by the channel of the river and divides
the town into two parts, is frequented by coasting and fishing
vessels. The principal buildings are the church of St Esprit
(13th century) now secularized; the Renaissance church of
St Gildas; the town-hall (18th century); and, at a short distance
from the town, the Carthusian monastery, now a deaf and dumb
institute, on the site of the battle of 1364, at which Charles of
Blois was defeated by John of Montfort (see Brittany: History).
Adjoining the Chartreuse is a small chapel in which are preserved
the bones of the Royalists captured by the Republicans in a battle
fought near the spot in 1795. In the neighbourhood is the church
of Sainte Anne d’Auray, one of the principal places of pilgrimage
in Brittany. Auray is one of the chief centres in France for
oyster-breeding, and carries on boat-building and sardine-fishing.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.