AVEIA, an ancient town of the Vestini, on the Via Claudia Nova,
6 m. S.E. of Aquila, N.E. of the modern village of Fossa. Some remains of
ancient buildings still exist, and the name Aveia still clings to the
place. The identification was first made by V. M. Giovenazzi, Della
CittÓ di Aveia ne' Vestini (Rome, 1773). Paintings in the church of
S. Maria ad Cryptas, of the 12th to 15th centuries, are important in the
history of art. An inscription of a stationarius of the 3rd
century, sent here on special duty (no doubt for the suppression of
brigandage), was found here in 1902 (A. von Domaszewski, R÷m.
Mitt., 1902, 330).
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.