AVERSA, a town and episcopal see of Campania, Italy, in the
province of Caserta, 15½ m. S.S.W. by rail from Caserta, and 12½ m. N. by
rail from Naples, from which there is also an electric tramway. Pop.
(1901) 23,477. Aversa was the first place in which the Normans settled,
it being granted to them in 1027 for the help which they had given to
Duke Sergius of Naples against Pandulf IV. of Capua. The Benedictine
abbey of S. Lorenzo preserves a portal of the 11th century. There is also
a large lunatic asylum, founded by Joachim Murat in 1813.
This page is extract from an ebook created by volunteers. It is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included online at www.gutenberg.org
A few typographical errors have been corrected. They
appear in the text like this, and the
explanation will appear when the mouse pointer is moved over the marked
passage. Sections in Greek will yield a transliteration
when the pointer is moved over them, and words using diacritic characters in the
Latin Extended Additional block, which may not display in some fonts or browsers, will
display an unaccented version.
Links to other EB articles: Links to articles residing in other EB volumes will
be made available when the respective volumes are introduced online.